Camberwell Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3
Category: Dilapidations, Office refurbishment, Remodelling, Structural alterations
Tenant(s): Calsonic Kansai (Distribution Warehouses)
The remodelled building comprises 3 storey office accommodation which forms part of larger distribution warehouses. Access to the offices is via a large full height reception area located to the front of the high bay warehouse.
What we did…
Tandem Contracts were appointed Principal Contractor to carry out refurbishment works throughout with remodelling elements; a 2 storey office block of steel construction with block infill walls and a pre-cast concrete floor was demolished to create additional space within the lower bay warehouse ready for the arrival of a new tenant. The following was achieved;
Phase 1 – High bay warehouse
Due to the nature of the incoming tenants’ business as an integral part of the Nissan supply chain in Sunderland, it was critical this phase was delivered on time.
- Removal of two storey office block in low bay warehouse.
- Demolition of a number of single storey blockwork offices in both warehouses.
- Partial demolition of partition wall between high and low bay warehouses creating additional vehicular access routes.
- Create new separate reception/break out area for warehouse staff; a canteen located in the high bay had served both staff in the offices and warehouses previously.
- General refurbishment works including redecoration, upgrading services as necessary, upgrading insulation and testing/certifying installations.
Phase 2 – Roofing and cladding work
Both low bay and high bay roofs are multi pitched with steel panel covering; material and profile consistant with rain screen cladding to facades. Both also contain box gutters within the valley and additional surface mounted guttering at the eaves. The following was undertaken;
- Erection of fixed scaffold tower to provide access onto roof and installation of edge protection barriers to perimeter edge.
- Renewal of previously damaged steel cladding sheets.
- Removal of windows previously serving 2nd floor of low bay offices and replacement with cladding to match adjacent.
- Treatment of lap-edge corrosion to steel roof sheets.
- Re-lining of valley box gutters with liquid plastic system.
- Renewal of UV damaged fixing caps on both low and high bay roofs.
Phase 3 – Office refurbishment
The offices, including those now demolished, were previously let by a large telemarketing company; this meant significant resources were required to remove the existing telecoms and IT infrastructure. Following the strip out of redundant services the following work was undertaken.
- Levelling of raised access flooring throughout and replacement with new where necessary.
- Redecoration throughout including new carpet tiles and suspended ceilings to all office and circulation areas and new vinyl flooring within the kitchen and canteen areas.
- Deep clean and servicing of ductwork, kitchen and toilet facilities.
- Repair of powder coated aluminium window frames and doors.
- Full clean of external cladding and glazing including full height atrium internally.
- Installation of new vehicle access barrier and sub-division of car parking facilities.
- Maintenance work to all landscaping around the site perimeter.
- Upgrade of all services as necessary, including servicing and certifying all Water, Gas and Electrical installations.
The project was succesfully completed and handed over in March 2015.